ANTI-REFLECTIVE, DIELECTRIC COATINGS WITH DIFFERENT PROPERTIES
Anti-reflective coatings are of central importance in materials science, and are used in numerous applications. They are mainly used to minimize disturbing reflections on optical surfaces – such as spectacle lenses or camera lenses. They also help to optimize light absorption in photovoltaic cells in the solar industry.
Their ability to transmit light effectively while reducing unwanted reflections makes them an essential component in many optically orientated technologies.
Discover more about the possibilities of anti-reflective coatings.
ANTI-REFLECTIVE, DIELECTRIC COATINGS
In order to make glass surfaces less reflective, you can apply a special coating to them, which is known as a λ/4 coating. A common material for this is magnesium fluoride (MgF2). The thickness of this coating should be selected, so that it corresponds to the formula d = λ/(4 x n), where n is the refractive index of the material. This means that the reflected light waves cancel each other out, and the glass reflects less light.
Another method uses three coatings with different refractive indices. This achieves a smooth transition from the refractive index of the air to the refractive index of the glass, which reduces the reflection effect accordingly.
For optimum results, where reflections are almost completely avoided and light transmission is maximized, more complex multi-coating systems are required. These consist of alternating coatings of materials with different refractive indices. The precise thickness of these coatings (and the many transitions between them) influence how the light passes through them and how it is reflected.
- Magnesium fluorite (MgF2) with n = 1,38
- Silicon oxide (SiO2) with n = 1,46
- Aluminium oxide (Al2O3) with n = 1,67
High refractive dielectrics
- Titanium oxide (TiO2) with n = 2,55
- Tantalum oxide (Ta2O5) with n = 2,20
- Zirconium oxide (ZrO2) with n = 2,15
- Silicon nitride (Si3N4) with n = 2,05
LOOKING FOR A SPUTTER TARGET?
We develop and manufacture sputtering targets up to 4000 mm target length as required – both in large series and as individual items.
FHR – The Right Partner at Your Side
Shaping the future together – with reliable and high-quality coating solutions from FHR:
- Industry-leading quality: Our vacuum coating systems are designed for maximum precision and durability.
- Customized solutions: We offer individual solutions for your coating project that meet your specific requirements.
- Innovative methods and technologies: With our many years of experience and expertise in vacuum coating, we continue to set new standards.
- Dedicated customer service: Our experienced team is always available to answer your questions and provide you with support in your projects.
Discover the diverse range of possibilities with our vacuum coating technology, and place your trust in FHR as your reliable partner for outstanding coating solutions. Please feel free to get in touch with us to find out more and realize your projects together.